Most people agree that there’s no better way to start the day than with a great cup of coffee. Being able to make that great cup of coffee at home is unbeatable, but can accumulate a hefty price tag and even worse, have a negative impact on the environment. Have you been considering using reusable K-Cups? Or are you on the hunt for the best reusable K Cup?
The Best Reusable K Cup for your Single Serve Coffee Maker
Due to the overwhelming amount of options flooding the market today, finding the best reusable K Cup can feel like a complicated and confusing process if you don’t know what to look out for.
But selecting a reusable K-Cup doesn’t have to be difficult. In the hopes of making this process a little easier for you, we’ve put together a guide and shared some tips on how to select the reusable K-Cup for you.
The Keurig My K-Cup Universal Reusable Ground Coffee Filter is designed for all Keurig home coffee makers and is currently the only Keurig-approved product for use in all Keurig coffee makers. Suited towards both cup and travel mug brew sizes, this is the ideal K-Cup for people on the go. The removable lid makes for easy usage and cleaning.
The24K gold plated honeycomb-patterned filter and eye-catching colorful design are what makes this product stand out from the rest. Making use of innovative Purflow Technology, the DI ORO MaxBrew 24K Gold K-Cup Reusable Filter assures that you will taste only coffee with no hint of filter; all the while ensuring no unpleasant flavors are absorbed.
iPartsPlusMore Reusable Gold-Plated Mesh Coffee Filters are fast becoming a firm favorite because of their price and surprising durability. Boasting a gold-plated stainless-steel filter and unique concave design, this product is designed to be long-lasting and provide many cups of coffee throughout its lifespan, while remaining cost-effective.
Delibru claims that their Reusable K-Cups fit any Keurig model—new or old, home or commercial! The ridgeless design means cleaning is easy and less time-consuming. The stainless-steel mesh prevents particles from entering your cup of coffee. Remarkably, these reusable K-cups work on other brands of coffee makers too.
GoodCups Reusable K-Cups are the perfect option for budget-conscious people. The gold micromesh screenis adept at keeping unwanted grounds from finding their way into your cup. Featuring a silicone ring for tight sealing, an infuser nozzle to ensure slow water flow and handy side mount grips for easy usage—this product ticks all the boxes.
The Benefits of Reusable K-Cups
Reusable K-Cups are gaining in popularity all around the world for many reasons. More and more coffee lovers are opting to take the reusable route because of the many benefits that come with using reusable K-Cups.
Some of the benefits of using reusable K-Cups include:
- Cost saving: Single-use pods are expensive and the cost of using them can quickly turn into an unmanageable expense. By using reusable K-cups you are saving your hard-earned money and making a sound investment that will save you plenty of money in the long run.
- Better for the environment: By opting to use reusable K-cups you aren’t contributing to the huge landfill issue as much as single pod users are. This is a major reason as to why so many people have started using them.
- Easy to clean: Reusable K-Cups are easy to clean and most are top-rack dishwasher safe. While cleaning them isn’t as easy as simply throwing them away after use, you are doing your part for the environment.
- More variety: When you make use of reusable K-cups you can choose from different beans, grinds and flavors—instead of just different pod flavors.
- Consistent cup of coffee: Reusable K-Cups are specifically designed to ensure your cup of coffee is great, every time for an extended period of time.
The Drawbacks of Reusable K-Cups
Finding a drawback of using reusable K-Cups is quite challenging. But such is the case with all things, there are a few disadvantages of using reusable K-Cups.
These disadvantages are:
- At a push I would say that refilling the filter basket every time you want a cup of coffee can be slightly inconvenient and consumes more time than single use pods do.
- There’s also been the occasional report that the strength of coffee is impacted when using a reusable K-Cup as opposed to a single use pod.
- Costs more than a cup of coffee. Sure, some of them might be expensive initially, but when compared to the cost of buying single use pods or getting your coffee from a café or coffee shop, the price is easily justified.
How to Use Reusable K-Cups?
Many people are surprised to hear how easy it is to use reusable K-Cups. And it’s true! Part of the reason for its rising popularity can be credited to the ease of use that reusable K-Cups allow.
In case you aren’t familiar with how to use reusable K-Cups, here are simple step by step instructions for you to follow and to help guide you through the process.
Step 1: Remove the lid by turning it counterclockwise to the ‘unlock’ position.
Step 2: Before you use the reusage coffee filter, wash all parts with a solution of soapy warm water.
Step 3: Fill the filter basket with a ground coffee of your choice. Do not compress the grinds or fill the basket past the top fill line.
Step 4: Fasten the lid. Do this by lining up the dot featured on the rim of the filter holder with the ‘unlock’ icon. Once lined up, turn clockwise to the ‘lock’ position.
Step 5: Ensure that the adaptor is properly attached to the filter holder by lining up the opening at the top of the adaptor with the hook on the side of the filter holder. Once lined up, slide into place.
Step 6: Insert the filter into the cup holder with the adaptor on, facing you. Lower the handle. If you are asked, select either option 2 or 4. Select your brew size of choice and push the ‘Brew’ button.
Step 7: Let the filter cool for a little while. Once cooled, simply lift the handle and remove the filter.
Step 8: Enjoy your great cup of coffee.
Step 9: When you’re ready to clean up, disassemble all parts, discard leftover grounds and give all components a quick pre-rinse. Proceed to wash the K-Cup by hand or dishwasher.
You may also watch the below video to know how to use reusable k-cups:
Things to Keep in Mind when Selecting a Reusable K-Cup
As you can see, there are many different reusable K-Cup options to choose from and each of them possess qualities that may be the deciding factor for you.
Here are a few general suggestions on what to look for in a reusable K-Cup:
- Compatibility: The most important factor when selecting a reusable K-Cup is ensuring that it is compatible with your machine. If you aren’t sure, head over to the manufacturer’s website and get a full list of compatible models.
- Appearance: For some people, appearance is everything. Reusable K-Cups come in a variety of colours—from brightly colored to pastel palettes—one is bound to match your colour scheme perfectly.
- Durability: As is the case with most products, you want something that will last. This is especially true if you’re a coffee enthusiast who drinks multiple cups a day.
The Bottom Line
If you’re concerned about the effect your coffee habit has on the environment and are sick of constantly spending money on single use pods, then it’s clear that reusable K-Cups are ideal for you.
While all the reusable K-Cups we’ve mentioned above are great products we feel like the best option for your Keurig coffee machine is to use a Keurig product.
After all, nobody knows coffee like Keurig does.